|
|
|
|
|
|
Novak Djokovic's entry drama in Australia
Properly, Novak Djokovic had missed the eligibility to play in the Australian Open 2022 on December 10, 2021, as this date was the last possible official entry deadline for the Grand Slam tournament in Melbourne. There are precise rules for professional tennis matches as well as for participation in professional tournaments, and everyone has to abide by them, including a Djokovic, the world's top-ranked player.
However, Djokovic did not care much about that, although he reportedly received a provisional visa, organized by the Australian Tennis Federation, to enter Australia on Nov. 18. -- On Nov. 19, Australian Health Minister Greg Hunt allegedly wrote to the Australian Tennis Federation, as reported in the Süddeutsche Zeitung, that the border authorities had been told that only fully vaccinated people could enter Australia quarantine-free. Regardless, Djokovic received an exemption from the Australian Tennis Federation's chief medical officer, on Dec. 30, for unvaccinated Victorians to enter the country.
Upon check-in after arriving at the Melbourne airport on Jan. 6, Djokovic's visa was declared invalid by immigration officials. For hours after midnight, Djokovic debated in vain for an entry permit with border officials, who were not satisfied with his PCR tests and categorically refused him entry because the documents required by the federal government for a medical exemption were not available. Djokovic, who refused to sign the protocol because he was unable to engage his lawyers that night, was therefore driven in the early hours of the morning to a deportation hotel for those required to leave the country for isolation.
Djokovic's father then went so far in a press conference as to compare his son to Jesus Christ: "Jesus was crucified, he endured it and is still living among us. Now they are trying to crucify Novak in the same way and do everything to him."
Djokovic's lawyers immediately appealed the visa cancellation, including on the grounds that Djokovic could rely on a positive PCR test on Dec. 16 and two negatives after surviving Corona infection on Dec. 18 and 22 in his vaccination exemption, and obtained a court date for Wednesday.
The Court of Appeal revokes the visa revocation, but mainly because of a procedural error by the border authorities, so Djokovic can move and train freely. But at the same time it became known that the Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke would review the case of Djokovic and possibly arrange for a renewed withdrawal of the visa.
The following day, it emerged that the entry form signed by Djokovic contained false information, which is considered a serious offense in Australia, about his travel behavior in the 14 days prior to his arrival in Melbourne. The fact is, Djokovic, without a special permit for the unvaccinated as reported by radio station Cadena Copa, illegally entered Spain, where he played tennis in Marbella around the turn of the year. Djokovic confirmed "human errors" that were accidental "and certainly not intentional on the part of his management." Djokovic also confirms that he kept an appointment with the sports newspaper L'Équipe in December, even though he knew about his positive Corona test and should have been in quarantine for 14 days under Serbian law.
DIE WELT and DER SPIEGEL reported on Jan. 11 on other inconsistencies that went unanswered. The digital versions of the PCR tests submitted by the lawyers did not match the dates and identification numbers given, as IT experts discovered. The positive PCR test allegedly taken on December 16 and submitted by the lawyers showed December 26 as the time mirror. The identification number of the positive test, they also say, also points to Dec. 26, because that number is 50,000 digits higher than another that Djokovic says was taken on Dec. 22, because some 50,000 tests were taken in Serbia between Dec. 22 and Dec. 26, according to public data.
Australia's immigration minister on Friday, after careful consideration in a personal decision, revoked Djokovic's visa for a second time, saying it was well justified and "in the public interest because Djokovic can endanger the health of the Australian community."
Djokovic and his lawyers were not satisfied with that and appealed "the irrational decision" to the Federal Court. Three judges of the top court, however, unanimously rejected the appeal and ordered Djokovic to be denied a visa, leave Australia and not compete in the Australian Open.
No matter how you look at it: Djokovic's behavior was so contradictory, inappropriate, insensitive and even possibly illegal that Djokovic understandably came off badly in the media and with the public - being egotistical, self-important, irresponsible, dishonest, hypocritical, egomaniacal, lacking in solidarity and more. He was not taken in by the fact that his mistakes were always the fault of others, even though he had brought the problems on himself. He also did not seem to realize that he was getting more and more entangled in contradictions to his own detriment, and that rules and laws apply equally to everyone - such as flawless PCR tests for an exemption permit and quarantine behavior in accordance with regulations. Without setting a good example, Djokovic has thrown a wrench in the plans of many tennis fans, who had no understanding of how the unvaccinated man was trying to force special treatment via his celebrity status.
At least Djokovic admitted after the verdict that he didn't feel comfortable that the focus of the past few weeks had been on him in such a way. "I hope now we can all focus on the game and tournament that I love." Hopefully Djokovic has learned something from the Australian drama so he won't hit the wall again next time. Eberhard Pino Mueller
published: 17-01-2022 --- Internet Tennis Library TAKEOFF-PRESS - Presse-Dienst-Süd - JOURNAL/EURO translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
|
|
|
|
|
|